Monday, April 8, 2013

I'm Not Spring Cleaning This Year

You guys, I'm not spring cleaning this year. 
(GASP!)
With hopes of moving in two months, there just really isn't a point to scrub down the window sills and refridgerator drawers. Instead? I'm going to try and get rid of as much stuff as possible.
The last time I moved was in 2009. To be honest, the thought of doing it again makes my palms start to sweat with anxiety. I have so many other things going on right now and I honestly don't even think it's humanly possible to pack up such a small apartment while two people are still trying to coexist. Like, where the hell will we stack the boxes? On the fire escape?!
It is already an obstacle course just to walk from the bedroom to the toilet room. 8 times out of 10, my giant-of-a-boyfriend runs into something and knocks it over. He's been sick and has been pulling out different meds from the medicine cabinet which interrupts the Jenga-esque stacking strategy inside. So now? You open the cabinet and things literally shoot out at you. Come to think of it, the same thing happens with our makeshift cupboard in the kitchen that holds everything from wrapping paper to my yoga mat to extra light bulbs to dish towels to an endless supply of lint rollers I've collected in my Christmas stocking over the years. And without fail, the shower caddy that hangs from the shower head (that has to hold everything since our tub is too small to have any other surface areas) crashes forward at least once mid-shower and I'm always dodging my razor that comes flying down. Oh, and yesterday? I hung my dry cleaning on one of the over-the-door hooks after almost tripping while trying to carry it up the steps and apparently? It was too heavy. "Um. What was THAT?" Oh just the hook device snapping in half and everything falling down. It's like a war zone, people. A freaking war zone.
Not to mention, I painted a big ol' painting this weekend (will share photos later this week) at an event and it's like, "Well. We have no wall space for that." I'm thinking of shipping it to my mother if I can figure out how to even do that.
The only thing I can think of that will help this situation and decrease my stress in this pre-move time? Purging. Starting this weekend (or whenever I have a spare moment), I'm going to go drawer by drawer, hook by hook, cabinet by cabinet, and sell/donate/throw out everything I don't need.
With William Morris in mind who said, "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.", I want to strip my collection of things down to the basics. As hard as it can be sometimes to get rid of items you convince yourself you might need (when your inner voice is like, "You never knowww when you would need all 17 old & tattered Vera Bradley bags!"), it feels so good to downsize. It makes you appreciate the nice things you do have, you know?
Ladies, did you know the shelf-life of all your makeup? (I didn't!) Maybe I'll start with that. Is anyone else out there itching to purge? I'd love to hear!
until next time,
g

2 comments:

  1. I recently moved twice in a year's span of time and purged so much stuff (and it's already accumulated again a year later). It feels fantastic to throw things away and have an empty shelf. This is actually on my to-do list for our front hall closet. It's currently a nightmare of epic proportions. Good luck with the purging and apt hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, moving twice in a year must've made things a little nutty. I hear you - just the mental image of an empty shelf is calming! Thanks so much...good luck with your front hall closet, too! (we can do it!)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...