Monday, June 14, 2010

"The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner"

First, there was
and then 
 
and then
and then
and now...


I have to admit, I was a bit apprehensive about reading the fifth book in Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga, "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner". I was more than content with the four-book series that transfixed my attention last summer. Even more so, I missed the world that Meyers had created in her stories. Still, I didn't want the novella to ruin it. In the end, I suppose my curiosity took over (not surprisingly). 

Stephenie Meyer, you did it again. I couldn't put the book down. As odd as it sounds, I also wanted to drag it out; I wanted to save the story and read little by little. And then that voice in my head was quickly overruled. With only 178 pages, I found myself reading as fast as I could. There are no chapters so it feels like one big readysetgo and a race to discover the end. Even pressed between sweaty and grumpy commuters on the subway, I still managed to hold the book with one hand (other hand holding on for dear life) and turn the pages in a strategic, albeit not graceful, move where I used my hip to balance the book while I thumbed to the next page. 

(Btw, I hatechu, Kindle/Nook/iPad owners.)

The funny part is that I know how it ends, but yet I was still completely bewitched by the story, remaining on the edge of my seat until the last words. Somehow, in 178 pages, Meyer not only provides us part of the story we already know in a fresh and intriguing perspective, she creates new characters and relationships, with whom readers inevitably empathize. Readers quickly "become" Bree Tanner, completely naive to the situation and remaining hopeful until the end.  Like with any event, once you know the entire story, you can understand things in a whole new light. Sympathy materializes when you least expect it, secrets become clear -- and you're forced to re-examine what you already know. 

Cliff's notes version: If you're a fan of the books, I'd definitely recommend adding Meyer's late addition to your Twilight repertoire. 

"People do not want to just read Meyer's books; they want to climb inside them and live there." - Time

until next time,

g


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...